Library Referendum Text Only
About the Library Referendum
Palatine Public Library District Board of Trustees has voted to place a referendum on the ballot on April 2, 2019. This referendum asks voters to approve a limiting rate increase on the Library’s property tax levy of 0.075%. This amount will provide for all of the Library’s financial needs through 2035. The Library’s limiting rate would go from 0.276% in 2017 to 0.351% in 2019. For a median value home in our Library District, the estimated increase in annual taxes is $52.
In the 44 years since the Library became a District, the Board has never asked for an operating rate increase.
How would this affect my property taxes?
|Assessed Home Value||$100k||$150k||$250k||$266k (Median)||$350k|
|Library Tax in 2019||$54||$96||$179||$193||$263|
|Additional Cost per Year||$15||$26||$48||$52||$70|
|Additional Cost per Month||$1.25||$2.17||$4.00||$4.33||$583|
Most up-to-date information as of 2/11/19.
Why We Need Your Help
The Main Library building is 25 years old and the facility systems are aging past their life expectancy. To address the facility issues, the Library needs over $5.8 million in the next six years. Although the Library has nearly $1 million in capital reserves, this amount would not cover all the costs and keep the doors open at the same time.
Most urgent capital project needs:
- significant portion of roof needs replacement
- updates to failing HVAC system
- upgrades to energy-efficient lighting
You’ve Asked for MORE
You told us you love our customer service, diverse materials, and engaging programs, and you said you want MORE!
✔ IF YES – THE REFERENDUM PASSES
The Library will be able to offer:
- MORE preparedness to maintain our facilities and remain good stewards of taxpayer dollars
- MORE service hours for your convenience
- MORE collaborative spaces and study rooms to accommodate students, entrepreneurs, and groups
- MORE investments in new technology and bandwidth to keep up with advances in technology
- MORE collaboration and partnerships with schools, businesses, and local organizations to serve our diverse community
- MORE new books, movies, music, downloadable content, games, and resources
✘ IF NO – THE REFERENDUM FAILS
In order to address $5.8 million in capital improvements, the Library will be forced to cut services:
- REDUCE hours and days of service at Main Library and Branches
- SHRINK budget for purchase of new materials available for check-out, resulting in longer wait times
- LIMIT state-of-the art software and equipment purchases, thereby failing to meet the demands of growing technology
- DECREASE partnerships and outreach programs that impact school students and underserved populations
How We Compare to Our Neighbors
|Library||Population||Revenues||Revenues Per Person|
|Indian Trails (Wheeling)||67,010||$7,665,836||$114.40|
|Palatine - If Yes||88,983||$8,246,030||$92.67|
To hear more about the referendum, attend one of our Community Forums:
- Thursday, January 10, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., Main Library
- Monday, January 14, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., Falcon Park
- Monday, February 11, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., Main Library
- Thursday, February 21, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m., Twin Lakes
- Tuesday, March 19, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., Fremd High School
- Monday, March 25, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., Main Library
Referendum Presentation Video
Can’t make it? Watch this recording from a recent Community Forum and get informed. The presentation is divided into three parts.
Essential to the Community
99.9% of survey respondents from our Community Survey in 2016 agreed that the Library is essential to the community!
By the Numbers – Fiscal Year 2017-2018
- 3624 items checked-out per day
- 72% of residents have a library card
- 65,434 computer sessions last year
- 500,033 total visits last year
- 1370 visits per day
- 8410 room bookings last year
- 1370 free programs
- 52,777 program attendees last year
Resources and Links
- Letter from Board of Trustees
- Ballot Ordinance from Board
- Print-friendly Fact Sheet
- Who Uses Palatine Library?
- Community Presentation Slides
- Community Presentation Video
- Strategic Plan
- Capital Reserves Study
- Financial Management Plan 2017
- Financial Plan Update 2018
- Interior Master Plan
- Community Survey Report
- Tax Impact Calculator - Excel File
- Calculate Value of Library Services
- Press Release
- Voter Resources
Please contact Andrea Lublink, Communications and Marketing Manager: email@example.com