Celebrate National Poetry Month by writing your own poetry!
- No entry fee.
- Poets of all ages may submit 1 typed, unpublished poem (50 lines or less).
- Youth (Lower Elementary): Preschool through age 8
- Youth (Upper Elementary): ages 9 - 12
- Teens: ages 13 - 17
- Adults: ages 18+
- Work is judged “blind;” omit personal info (i.e. your name) from your entry. Include an Entry Form (see below) with in-person and postal submissions.
- Work by Palatine Public Library District residents will be considered for the Nancy J. Heggem Poetry Awards; work by nonresidents will be considered for the Palatine Public Library’s Write-On Awards.
- Current PPLD staff, board members, and trustees are not eligible for prizes.
- Professional judges will select the best entry in each category. Each winner will receive a certificate, a cash prize, and publication on the Library’s website.
- The Library cannot return entries.
Professional judges will select the best entry in each age category. Winners receive a certificate and a cash prize.
- Poems will be displayed in the Main Library as space permits
- Online: Fill out the online submission form below.
- In Person: Submit your entry to the Reference Desk or any Branch.
- Include a completed Entry Form with your submission. Download and print an Entry Form, or pick one up at the Reader Assistance Desk, Reference Desk, or the Branches beginning March 1.
- Via Mail: Mail your entry and a completed Entry Form (see above) to: Poetry Contest, c/o Information Services Department, Palatine Public Library District, 700 N. North Court, Palatine, IL 60067.
Postmark deadline: April 15. Postal entries must be received by April 22 to be eligible for judging.
Celebrate With Us
- Winners will be announced at a special ceremony and open mic at 2:30 pm on Saturday, May 6. All attendees will be entered into a drawing for door prizes. Sign up.